Wednesday, August 20, 2008

An expensive lesson, learned

Things I am excited about today:

¨ My new (used) dining room table – I’m still getting used to it, but I like it, though I can’t decide whether I should leave it like it is or turn it horizontally
¨ Season three, disc three of Weeds
¨ RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE at the Target Center in 14 DAYS!
¨ Having to replace my hard drive

Wait, that last one is something I am NOT excited about. That’s right. Yes, the news is sad but true; my trusty laptop, Phoebe, had a bit of a brain fart Monday and never recovered, subsequently undergoing a lengthy and nail bitingly intense hard drive transplant. There was a bit of a glitch at the start and some panic that Phoebe was going to reject her newly transplanted organ, but the problem was soon remedied and she was on her way to a slow but steady recovery.

So now I have a hard drive twice the size of the one I have before, and it’s all squeaky clean and empty, and a hard drive with data I cannot retrieve that I, um, never backed up.

All my photos. Gone.

All my music files – thousands and thousands of them. Gone.

Lesson learned.

3 comments:

Captain Crab said...

what about brakes?

Guacaholic said...

Now that you have a trusty new hard drive, I have three words for you: Free online backup. I use MozyHome and I totally love it. It's the lazy person's backup!

Captain Crab said...

Before getting too addicted to online backup, you nay want to check this NPR story out

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=93841182